POS systems are vital in the hospitality industry. Keeping track of sales is essential for maintaining a successful business. It’s a good idea to have all of this information and data in one place – it’s an even better idea to integrate your POS system with an accounting system. This keeps everything automated, quick, and easy to access. One example of such an integration is Revel POS and Xero accounting software (Revel Xero). Its three key features include sales integration, purchase order integration and payroll integration. Let’s go a bit deeper into each feature one-by-one.
Revel Xero sales integration
This is actually the most used Revel Xero integration. It syncs the sales recorded at Revel POS in each establishment – this occurs daily. There are various customisation options for your format in which data is synced to Xero.
The main features include syncing sales of multiple establishments to a single or multiple Xero account file, syncing payouts, gift cards, customer payments, sales by totals and order, applying pre-existing tracking categories in Xero to sales transactions synchronised from Revel. You can also set the sync time period according to the business hours of trade and the establishment time zone and sync sales to accounts according to the following Revel product filters (by establishment, by product class, by product category, by product sub-category, by product). What’s more, you can create tracking categories in Xero according to Revel product filters, apply these to sales transactions, and set the sync time period according to the business hours of trade and the time zone of the establishment.
To use Revel Xero sales integration, it’s required to create accounts in Xero that will be mapped to sales in Revel, create clearing accounts in Xero that will be mapped to payment types in Revel and create any custom tax rates in Xero that will be mapped to corresponding tax rates in Revel.
Step 1: Sales from Revel are synchronised daily according to the time set in the integration settings page:
- 1 day’s trade from 1 establishment = 1 sales invoice.
- 1 day’s trade from 2 establishments = 2 sales invoices.
Within the integration there are multiple invoice formats that can be utilised:
- By sales totals – this will sync totals according to total sales, total discounts, total service fees
- By product totals – this will sync sales according to the number of each product sold
- By product category – this will sync sales according to the total value of sales corresponding to each product category
- By product sub-category – this will sync sales according to the total value of sales corresponding to each product sub-category
- By product class – this will sync sale according to the total value of sales corresponding to each product class
Step 2: Reconciling Payments
The integration will apply payments to the sales invoice generated based on the method of payment that you accept. There are 2 configuration settings available in relation to payments:
- Applied payments or negative payments
- Grouped payments or ungrouped payments
Revel Xero purchase orders integration
This type of integration syncs purchase orders recorded in the Revel Management Console. It allows you to capture analysis and invoiced purchase orders data, capture product information including vendor name, product SKU, description, cost, capture additional PO information including shipping and handling charges, and miscellaneous charges. There is also an option to create POs in Xero as Draft POs or Draft Bills and an option to summarise the contents of Revel POs into single line items in Xero (POs or Bills).
Step 1: When the integration synchronises a draft PO or Bill is created in Xero.
Step 2: Xero POs or Bills:
- Summarised – split between taxable and nontaxable
- Itemised – shows product / ingredient items names
- In the case of 1 PO represents 1 bill issued by a supplier, then the user may send Revel POs straight to Xero as Bills.
Revel Xero payroll integration
This integration syncs the hours employees worked in the Revel Management Console via the Clock in/Clock out function or manual user input (directly into the Revel Management Console).
The main features include syncing payroll for multiple establishments, setting pay rates depending on the day (e.g. overtime pay for Saturday and Sunday) and the option to round time recorded to the following increments: 15 min., 30 min., or 1hr.
- When the integration syncs, a draft time sheet is created in Xero and populated with time recorded in the Revel Management Console. The data from Revel is synced to Xero on a schedule. This should correspond with the end of the business’ trading hours.
- The Payroll Administrator should review the Revel data and check if it’s correct. Any adjustments and changes should be made in the Revel Management Console prior to the scheduled sync time of the integration. It happens that incorrect data is synced.
- The Payroll Administrator will approve the draft timesheets and generate a draft pay run at the end of the pay period. All hours recorded in the timesheets will then be transferred to the employees pay slip.
As you can see, the Revel Xero integration offers many benefits that can only improve the performance of your business. The hospitality industry requires precise numbers – all sales must be recorded and no mistakes can be made. Thanks to an automated process, you, as an accountant or bookkeeper, won’t have to worry about adding the wrong data or any tech mistakes. Revel Xero is a safe and effective solution.